Having a battery you can trust is more important than some may realize. Not only does it provide the power to
start your vehicle, but it also plays other important roles in its operation of your vehicle. The main function for most vehicle
batteries is to supply power to the starter and ignition system so the engine can be cranked or started. The battery also
supplies the extra power necessary when the vehicle’s electrical load requirements exceed the supply from the charging
system. This means that your battery must also help power all the electronics and accessories that come installed or that
are plugged into your car. East Penn’s AGM or Absorbed Glass Mat batteries have no free-flowing acid. Special micro-
fiber glass mats absorb the acid so the battery will not spill or leak. This glass mat material helps reinforce the battery’s
internal components improving it’s ability to withstand the demands of multiple accessory loads (your vehicle’s many
electronics). The battery also acts as a voltage stabilizer in the electrical system. The battery smoothes out or reduces
high voltage spikes, which can occur in a vehicle’s electrical system when loads are abruptly shut off. These excessively
high voltages could damage other components in the electrical system if it were not for the protection provided by the
When two unlike materials such as the positive and negative plates (the electrodes) are immersed in an
electrolyte (such as a solution of sulfuric acid and water) voltage is developed. The voltage developed depends on the
types of materials used for electrodes and on the electrolyte used. The voltage is approximately 2.1 volts for a lead-acid
battery cell. A typical lead-acid battery consists of six cells and is called a 12-volt battery. Electrical current is produced
by the chemical reaction between the electrodes and the electrolyte when there is a complete circuit between the positive
and negative terminals. If a battery is rechargeable, such as a lead-acid battery, forcing current through the battery in the
opposite direction with a charger will restore the electrodes and electrolyte to their original states.
- The battery is part of a system. When installing your new battery, it is wise to check related components. Follow all safety instructions when handling batteries! Always disconnect grounded cable first and connect it last to prevent dangerous sparks!
Do not attempt the following vehicle maintenance without training or proper instructions:
1. Check cables
2. Clean corrosion off battery hold-downs, cables, and trays
3. Verify voltage regulator and alternator output meet proper specifications
4. Repair shorts (any load that is on when it should be off) in electrical system.
5. If a load is left on and battery becomes discharged, recharge promptly.
6. Tighten cables properly and always secure the battery properly
- Do not keep your battery at a low state-of-charge for long periods of time. Batteries will self-discharge if not used. Conventional automotive batteries perform best when they are at a full state-of-charge.
Optimized power is not always reflected by CCA ratings. AGM batteries deliver power quickly to start the engine.
A CCA rating measures cranking over a 30 second period. Cars today start in milliseconds due to improved electrical
systems. Fuel injection, computerized starting controls, and other enhancements allow vehicles to start quickly without
the need for extended cranking. Premium batteries should deliver the right balance of life, power, and durability – not just
Accidental power drains (like leaving your headlights or dome lights on) that discharge the battery to the point
that it doesn’t have enough power to start the vehicle. Draining the battery to a very low state-of-charge can do permanent
capacity damage. Another common cause of battery failure is from putting the wrong battery in the wrong application. For
instance, if the vehicle requires a certain amount of starting power, installing a battery that isn’t designed to provide that
much starting power will quickly wear out to the point of a no-start situation. Also, if the battery’s dimensions don’t align
with the vehicle’s recommendations, it might not have a good fit and suffer damage from vibration or clearance issues.
Always pay close attention to the Battery Application Guide and specifically follow its instructions. Higher temperatures
also have a detrimental effect on battery life. However, in the cold, oil and transmission fluids are more viscous so getting
the car started requires more energy. In general, extreme temperatures, hot or cold, have an adverse affect on battery
life. However, it’s the heat that does most of the damage, but more batteries actually fail when they’re put to the test in the
The plate plays a critical role in the performance of the battery’s overall power system. The ability of the plate to
store and deliver power is directly proportional to how well it supports the vehicle’s power needs. Power-Perform Plates
perform these functions with the highest efficiency enabling more power-per-space and better overall performance.
- Full-frame structure provides better current transfer from all sides of the plate
- Enhanced crystallization of the active material and specially formulated oxide optimizes energy storage for high-
- Low resistance current path grids with more top frame intersecting wires allow the direct flow of energy for greater
- Revolutionary paste adhesion techniques deliver better performance over extended use
Power-Perform Plates work within an overall battery life protection system and an advanced durability design to
extend performance and service life.
- Increased grid frame tensile strength resists plate growth to safeguard against life-threatening shorts
- Thicker backweb and puncture resistant separators prevent plate-to-plate electrical shorts
- Ultra-pure electrolyte with no impurities inhibits unnecessary water loss
- Full-frame plate structure prevents exposed wire electrical shorts
- Advanced battery formation controls prevent high temperature damage and under-formed, low-performance plates
Precision craftsmanship, stringent testing, and consistent performance and quality analysis through advanced centralized
laboratories ensure that Power-Perform Plates deliver optimized life, power, and durability, even under the most severe
service. This means lower warranty claims due to less defects combined with better and longer battery performance.